Sunday 14 February 2010

Coasting to the Lakes challenge!

Last year I wrote on here about running several sections of the South West Coast Path during my training for the London Marathon, and how it would be quite an achievement to run the whole distance of the path through North Devon before I leave this beautiful part of the world. Well, I did some research and discovered it would actually be a BIG challenge, with steep hills like you wouldn't believe and difficult terrain, not to mention biting coastal winds, and the elusive nature of the paths themselves on google maps... I swiftly put the idea to rest, but didn't completely forget about it and sometimes found myself returning to the Coast Path and daydreaming about how far I could follow it. Well now I have resurrected this ambition with a new goal: to complete the challenge this year in my training for the Lake Windermere Marathon and do it all to raise money for Brathay, the marathon's organising charity. The marathon is billed as the UK's most scenic marathon, so it seems fitting to attempt what is possibly the UK's most scenic training program on my journey getting there! More details on Brathay and how you can sponsor me will be forthcoming.

For now, the plan; my aim is to run the length of the path from the Foreland on the edge of Exmoor, all the way along Devon's coastline to Bude in Cornwall. The total distance is over 150 miles, but will be broken up into sections ranging from 5 to 20 miles to allow me to complete the entire length over the next 14 weeks of training. In theory anyway! Looking at the complete distance it seems a bit daunting, and I will welcome any assistance, support, or company if anyone fancies joining me for part (or all!) of this mega run. Hello, anyone?!

I'll try to record my progress on here using maps and as many photos as I can take whilst running (so they may be rather blurry!). This weekend I attempted the first part, really to assess the feasibility of the project more than anything, but after successfully navigating the Coast Path between Barna Barrow and Lynmouth on this sunny Valentine's day, and feeling inspired all over again by the dramatic views and sheer spectacle of the path, I feel ready to face up to the challenge and officially declare my crazy scheme started!


South West Coast Path Week 1

Route so far:

Foreland Point - Wind Hill- Point Perilous (just love that name!)- Lynmouth/Lynton Cliff Railway- Watersmeet (had to double-back at end to where I'd parked the car). 8 miles in total.

Distance on Coast Path:

4 miles, Foreland to Lynmouth. It was a shame I had to double-back so couldn't do more of the actual route, but hopefully as the weeks go on I'll be able to do more point-to-point runs and make more of a dent in all those miles. Only 149 to go!

Map:

No comments: