Tuesday 21 October 2008

Bust-a-move

If you are one of those runners who feels naked without your headphones, the best music for running to sparks an interesting debate. A website called JogTunes attempts to make the choice for you by providing suggestions which match your running pace to the beats of certain songs. You calculate your pace in steps per minute and the site will come up with lists of matched tunes and instructions on how to download them from iTunes. You can also get ready-made playlists based on your pace over a certain estimated distance, so the music will accompany you at a matched pace throughout your workout.

However I have discovered that people's tastes vary hugely, and I'm not sure that the music you find most motivating or that you most enjoy running to is anything to do with the pace. My hubby's choice for long runs is the mellow, slightly-trippy Icelandic group Sigur Ros, which I guess is either a philosophical choice, or just plain bizarre. And Paula Radcliffe is said to prefer to train to Angels by Robbie Williams, which wouldn't meet the fast-pace=good workout music ethos of most gyms.

My personal best-running-track-ever is Molly's Chambers by the King's of Leon. I don't often run with music, but when I feel in need of a soundtrack to my exploring this is the perfect song to put a spring in my step. Although I do sometimes feel the desire to stop running and shake my booty when it comes on!

No comments: