Saturday 4 October 2008

Route mapping tools part 3

For the past week or so I have been testing the route mapper on Realbuzz.com for planning runs. The tool used on this site is called Map Your Passion, which is a term I haven't quite got my head around yet. Although I love running this does not sound like a run planner, so I googled the term and discovered it is also the name of an advertising campaign for Campari where people can plot their favourite things, their lovers or their experiences on a world map. Now I cannot get this image out of my head whenever I visit the running map your passion and it doesn't seem quite right.

Anyway, the actual mapping tool is good- quite basic in comparison to mapmyrun.com, but functional and easy to use. You have to register with Realbuzz in order to use it, which may put some people off and means it takes a little longer to get on with the task because you have to log in each time.

The route can be planned on a choice of maps (satellite, street map etc) which includes terrain and therefore allows you to work out where the hills are and the climb involved. Realbuzz also boasts that you can add markers to maps to 'highlight your favourites, whether it's a restaurant you'll never forget or the best hotel or hostel you've ever stayed in', and it would be great for these purposes, but as you cannot add markers at the time you actually create a route so it is not ideal for creating certain points on a run or brick (e.g. cycle then run) training route.

All together Map Your Passion was a decent route planner, but I have been slightly spoiled by using mapmyrun, and found this tool not quite so comprehensive for runners or easy to use. For one thing this site became increasingly slow to load each new point as the route got longer, and as the longest run I used it for was 10 miles, this could become really annoying as your distance increases.

Marks out of 5: 3.5

No comments: