Saturday 1 November 2008

Naked advertising

Recently I have noticed a bare-faced trend in sports gear adverts. I am referring of course to the numerous naked athletes that are gracing the pages of running magazines, selling anything from sports drinks to trainers.

I admit they are effective advertising if that means attracting attention. The first time I saw one I did a double-take; is that really Greg Tait's perfect bottom I can see? The next one I wondered if I should cover up whilst reading Runner's World on the train, after all, with a naked woman taking up most of the opposing page fellow passengers might wonder if the 'go longer' article might really be about something else...

But mostly what I think when I see these adverts is, would I really want to train naked or to feel as if I am? There are certain bits that need to be supported and held in by clothing and I don't think comfort or performance would be improved by letting it all hang loose. Also, I worry about Rebecca Romero's comfort, perched on that pointy saddle in the buff. And mustn't there have been some serious photo-shopping in Tait's picture or the direction and force of motion would have caused another part of his anatomy to be leaping about? This is all so distracting I don't remember the point of the advert, or this post.

No comments: