Monday 10 November 2008

Runners' Return!


Just walked in and hobbled up the stairs after the epic journey which was the Athens Classic Marathon. The adventure started last Wednesday, with the car-bus-plane-bus rigmarole which took us to the legendary city on Thursday morning, and finished half an hour ago with the reverse, done at a somewhat slower, stiffer pace courtesy of the small diversion on Sunday to run 26.2 miles in the Greek sunshine.

What can I say about it? It was tough, really tough, and hot, really hot. But I got round and could not stop smiling for the last 500m. And running into the Panathinaikon
stadium was everything you could hope for in a marathon finish: exciting, inspiring, beautiful, emotional, well-organised, dramatic... and downhill!

I will write a proper account of the race when I have recuperated a bit more (i.e. drank more tea- I'm surprised I got round without a good British cuppa in the morning) and have fully digested everything that happened. Right now, I am pleased just to have experienced it, and want to shout out to everyone "I DID IT!!!"

No comments: