Sunday 4 April 2010

Coast challenge update week 8

Arghhh! Worst run so far. In fact, the main problem was that today's effort was less of a run than an adventurous hike due to the ridiculously muddy state of the paths. My training plan (courtesy of Runner's World) dictated a 13 mile run today and last week's mega run left my Coast Path progress at Westward Ho! so I decided to run from there to Buck's Mills (just under 7 miles away) and back again. Unfortunately the path between those two places was so muddy that it was impossible to actually run. Even walking was a challenge, and I spent a good hour trying to work out the best strategy (the wide-legged straddle, trying to avoid the wettest part in the middle of the path, or the plunge, wading straight through with little regard for my shoes and clothing- this tactic became default after I slipped and reflexively grabbed onto a deceptively weak branch, thus ending up with a load of thorns in my hand and up to my knees in mud anyway), before wondering if I should call it a day and turn back. But by that point the thought of retracing my steps through all that mud without achieving much seemed so disheartening I decided to press on and try to cut back to my car along the road after Buck's Mills. After all, I thought, it couldn't be much further....

Another SEVENTY minutes later I made it to Buck's Mills. Yes, it took me two hours and ten minutes to cover a distance of seven miles. During this time I met two seperate groups of people, all of whom were wielding hiking sticks and clinging to the side of the slippery trails like first-time skiers, and who shared with me a sort of wartime camaraderie with resigned smiles and sympathetic comments about the tough times ahead in our respective directions. Along the way I passed through all the major stages of despair; denial ("That sign can't say 2 3/4 miles to Buck's Mills, they're wrong, I'm sure it's just around the next corner"), bargaining ("If the mud clears up after this bit of hill I'll run the rest at fast pace intervals to make up the time"), anger ("If I don't see a patch of dry ground soon I'm going to SCREAM"), and near-insanity ("Maybe I'll just take off my soaking shoes and trousers and run barefoot in my knickers, it'd be so much easier..."). Thankfully though, I eventually made it to the village of Buck's Mills and hit the road. By this time I was too tired and dehydrated to make it a decent run back to Westward Ho! but I did enjoy seeing some new places and the way the sea would occasionally pop into view over the hills ahead. Unfortunately taking the road back did add some extra miles onto the route.

Three and a half hours after leaving I was back at the car, more dirty and exhausted than I've been throughout this challenge, with mud and scratches even on my arms and holes in my hand from the thorns. But now that I'm home (and clean and dry) I have to say that I am slightly relishing the battle-weary exhaustion I have, and am looking forward to a very good night's sleep tonight. 'Til next time....

Route:

Westward Ho!- Kipling Tors- Abbotsham cliffs- Greencliffs- Peppercombe- Worthygate woods- Buck's Mills- Buck's Cross- A39 through Fairy Cross- Abbotsham- Westward Ho! 16 miles in total, 7 on coast path.

Distance on Coast Path:


78 miles to date

Map:


No comments: