Saturday 17 April 2010

Pictures from last run


Finding the Coast Path at Clovelly. It was a sunny Sunday morning so the car parks were full of cars suggesting people were out using the path, but later on the remoter areas between car parks were still empty.


At first much of the path looked like this, skirting around the edge of fields for about 6 miles.


Now and then the path would dip down onto the beaches between cliffs and I'd have to cross the water. This one was particularly fun, jumping from stone to stone.


I saw lots of wild Dartmoor ponies on this section of the track. I took this photo looking back along the coast I'd already covered and liked the way you could see all the way to Saunton in the distance, strange to think that's where I was running just a few weeks ago.


Just before East Titchberry the path was blocked due to a landslide. The notice pinned to the post here had a map of the alternative route to take and the diversion was helpfully signposted all the way to Hartland.


The lighthouse at Hartland Point; a dramatic spectacle in real-life, even if this photo does make it look like a chess piece!


My attempt at showing the time I reached Hartland (which was about a third of the way). Unfortunately the sun's reflection on my phone screen meant I couldn't actually see what I was taking a photo of until I got home, and on this occasion just missed my watch!


Pretty steep round here!


A random ruin on Warren Cliffs, with the village of Hartland in the distance.


The rock formations on the coast between Hartland point and Hartland Quay were extraordinary. I've heard this part is a good place to see seals too, but if there were any they were well hidden when I passed.


More breathtaking rock formations (and steps that were literally breathtaking too).


Amazing waterfall at Welcombe Mouth.


A highlight of the trip was when I encountered this little hut halfway down a cliff. The sign on the door said 'Ronald Duncan Hut is Open' so I went in and found a table laid out with bottles of water and drinking glasses and a guest book to sign. At this point I had been running for over three hours and this simple shelter looked like heaven! So I treated myself to a moment of rest out of the sun, in front of the delightful view with the lovely cool water to drink and left my heart-felt thanks in the book. (I also left my blog address, so if by any chance the responsible person is reading this, thank you so much, you are wonderful!). I have since found out that Ronald Duncan was an author and poet who built the hut so he could write whilst looking out to sea. I can certainly vouch for it being an inspirational place.


Yes!!!! I was overjoyed to see this sign confirming I'd reached the border.


A couple of miles later I stumbled towards my waiting chauffeur and reached the end! Here I am outside the Hawker's Hut on the Coast Path just West of Morwenstow, 20 miles away from where I started in Clovelly, Devon, and over a hundred miles from where I began it all in Somerset.

No comments: