Wednesday 17 September 2008

My embarrassing running secret

I have a secret fear. I'm ashamed to admit it, but in the spirit that a problem shared is a problem halved I'm just going to come out with it.

My fear is one that raises its head at this time of year when evening runs start to last into the darkening night and the flourescent sports clothing emerges from the bottom of the wardrobe. It nags at my thoughts when I start to lose sight of the path beneath my feet in the growing dusk.

And here lies the problem; if it's late evening, it's been damp weather, and I can't see my feet, there is a good chance I will land my foot down on a slug. Even writing it makes me shudder!

I have run at night time through deserted parks in Edinburgh, thuggish-looking housing estates in Glasgow, and noisy parts of North London, but now I'm running on footpaths in the wet and warm (ish) countryside I am scared to go out in the dark. It's pathetic I know.

I'm fine with getting muddy; I've nothing against accidentally sinking my running shoes in big puddles or cow pats. But that squelching pop of a slug underfoot is something I can't stand. Luckily, I usually run in the morning or late afternoon, when the slugs are not out in full force. Otherwise I tend to try and stick to well-lit paths or have to deal with running while gritting my teeth and crossing my fingers. I'd be interested to know if there are any other runners out there who feel squeamish about slugs, or have any other silly running fears. I tried to google running and slugs and discovered lots of information on a computer accessory called a 'slug' (as if having a mouse, an apple and a dongle wasn't silly enough), but nothing to do with one of the slime sacks meeting your running shoes on a dark night, so perhaps it's only me.....

No comments: