Sunday 7 September 2008

Sea-seeking

Today I ran a 16 mile route towards the coast. It was my third attempt at finding a good, run-able path to the nearest beach at Saunton. I say attempt, because I am still looking. Todays route took me along the lovely Tarka Trail to Braunton, where the path joined the main road and I ran along the pavement which was wide (shared with cycles) and scenic. Until the pavement suddenly ran out, merging into a soft verge with very overgrown grass and intruding hedges. I had to run along the road itself, far from ideal when it was barely wide enough for the traffic causing queues to build up behind me whilst waiting to overtake.
I hate being the cause of annoyance to drivers, and the roads were not particularly quiet this afternoon so I couldn't really relax and enjoy the run, and after excitedly anticipating catching a glimpse of the sea-proper (as compared to the estuary), I ended up itching to turn around and get back to the trail. So the search for the perfect coastal run continues.
To attain perfection, the run should be:
*Not too hilly, although some high points are good if they provide a good view.
*Light on traffic, or on good pavements.
*Involving few busy road crossings or roundabouts.
*Able to fit into part of a loop, rather than out-and-back along the same route.

No comments: