Wednesday 7 January 2009

A Wintery Scene

Today, for the first time in a while I felt like an explorer on my run. The winter weather has transformed the scenery on one of my favourite routes and it was like running through unknown territory again. I ran a 6 mile there-and-back course along the river front and couldn't believe my eyes. Everything was grey and white; the sparse wintery trees and vegetation were iced with frost, and there were huge islands of ice along the water. With flocks of sea-birds resting on the floating ice and the only colour coming from the orange sun sitting low in the grey sky, I felt like I was setting out on an arctic voyage. Of course the sting of the freezing cold air across my cheeks and the numbness of my fingers did nothing to destroy this impression either.

Unfortunately I was so distracted by the landscape and my daydreams of arctic adventures that I trod in some dog poo. But I guess every expedition has it's mishaps.

No comments: